The North American Marine Environment Protection Association (NAMEPA) is a marine industry-led organization of environmental stewards preserving the marine environment by promoting sustainable marine industry best practices and educating seafarers, students and the public about the need and strategies for protecting global ocean, lake and river resources
Our First Five Years: Clay Maitland, Founding Chairman, looks back over the past five years and ahead to many more accomplishments.
Save our seas
This proactive, industry-led initiative demonstrates to all our commitment to preserving our seas for the world to enjoy and present our industry in a positive light. Please accept our invitation to join this important industry group.
The oceans, lakes and rivers are the cradle of life, but are seriously endangered by the actions of man. The most serious threat is pollution. Current environmental controls and regulations are inadequate to control it. Read more…
For more information about the maritime industry, check out the Maritime Industry Foundation.
The overall aim of a marine environment protection association (MEPA) is to increase environmental awareness and motivation of people within shipping and/or land-based industries, and the wider public and school community, through cooperation with international organizations and the adoption of public awareness campaigns respectively. Click here for more information.
The objectives of the association are similar to those set out by the 1982 HELMEPA Inaugural Declaration of Voluntary Commitment “To Save our Seas,” adapted to North America’s special circumstances/needs. Thus, independent of “politics and business promotion,” the objectives of a MEPA are to foster the voluntary cooperation of its members in order to:
- Encourage effective compliance of its members with national and international laws and regulations adopted for the protection of the marine environment from pollution;
- Communicate information to seafarers and the staff of member-companies and/or environmental awareness campaigns for the general public and school children in particular on the marine environment and the ways to prevent its pollution;
- Create and promote safety mindedness and security spirit within the industrial sectors involved in its membership;
- Enhance quality standard and professional competence throughout its membership and especially the members from within the maritime community, with the means of a concerted training effort to educate and inform all, from the owner to the youngest employee of every participating company;
- Cooperate with International Organizations, i.e. the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), the International Maritime Organization (IMO), as well as national agencies, i.e. Coast Guard, Port Authorities, Tourist Boards and any other entity whose aims coincide with those of the Association;
- Promote relationships and/or partnerships with educational institutions (schools, Colleges, Universities, Maritime Academies and other) to further spread the voluntary commitment of MAPEAs to the youth of today, who are the world’s future scientists, engineers, managers, politicians etc;
- Publicly recognize the individual, associations, organization, companies and any other that demonstrate outstanding achievements in the field of protection of the marine environment from pollution.