2016 NAMEPA ANNUAL CONFERENCE FOCUSES ON CRITICAL LINK BETWEEN SHIPPING AND SOCIETY
NEW YORK, NY - OCTOBER 27
The World Maritime Day theme for 2016 is "Shipping: Indispensable to the world". The theme was chosen to focus on the critical link between shipping and global society; without shipping the import and export of goods on the scale necessary to sustain the modern world would not be possible. Seaborne trade continues to expand, bringing benefits for consumers across the world through competitive freight costs.
But we, the industry, know this; the challenge comes in educating the public about this globally vital industry. How do we get beyond wringing our hands in frustration and move forward on this initiative?
Industry colleagues, regulators, conservationists and educators broadened the discussion on how to communicate the value proposition of the marine industry to the public. What is the message, what are the instruments we need, and how do we deploy them? How does this benefit your company, your bottom line, and the industry at large?
AGENDA (links to presentations in blue)
- Welcome & Opening Remarks: Joe Hughes- Chairman, NAMEPA; Chairman & CEO, Shipowners Claims Bureau
- SHIPPING- INDISPENSABLE TO THE WORLD
- Value Proposition of Shipping: Joe Hughes- Chairman, NAMEPA; Chairman & CEO, Shipowners Claims Bureau
- Regulatory Impacts on Shipping- Benefiting Shipping's CSR Profile: Joan M. Bondareff- Of Counsel, Blank Rome LLP
- The Practicalities of Sustainability: Jan-Willem van Den Dijssel- Americas Lead, Cargill Ocean Transportation Americas
- Environmental and sustainable Shipping in 2025: Jan Hagen Andersen, P.E.- Business Development Manger, DNV GL
- The Financial Rewards of CSR: Susan McPherson- Founder and CEO, McPherson Strategies
- Connecting with the Public on Sustainability through Partnerships: Dr. Sandra Whitehouse- Senior Advisor: Consultant, Ocean Conservancy
COMMUNICATING THE VALUE OF SHIPPING TO THE PUBLIC: Group Discussion
- SENIOR LEADERSHIP ROUNDTABLE
- MODERATOR: Clay Maitland- International Registries, Inc.
- Captain Anuj Chopra- Vice President, Americas, RightShip
- Ronald Tursi- President, TBS Ship Management; Executive Vice President, TBS Ocean Logistics
- Captain Linda Y. Bunn- JAGC, U.S. Navy, Ocean Policy Advisor in the NOC Office, National Ocean Council
- Michael Webber- CFA, Senior Analyst, Managing Director, Shipping, Equipment Leasing & Marine MLPs Equity Research, Wells Fargo Securities, LLC
- Nicky Pappadakis- Chairman Emeritus, INTERCARGO
- KEYNOTE SPEAKER: RADM Linda Fagan- Deputy Commandant for Operations, Policy, & Capability U.S. Coast Guard
- 2016 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- AWARDS DINNER